Official Registration of Moorefield Club in 1888
On St Patrick’s Day 1888, under the heading MOOREFIELD CLUB, the Leinster Leader records that: At a general meeting of the above club, it was proposed by Mr J Callaghan, seconded by Mr Langton, and passed unanimously – “That the club be called the J J O’Kellys Moorefield Gaelic Athletic Club, and that the colours be magenta and green”.
Kildare County Championship Entries
On 4 February 1888 the paper noted that the Kildare County Committee recorded that “The following branches having forwarded fees were affiliated – Kildare, Sallins, Rathangan, Allen, Hazelhatch, Eadestown, Mountrice and Moorefield”. The fee was ten shillings and the first Kildare championships were fixed for 25 March. The following 12 clubs played in the inaugural county championship: Maynooth, Newbridge, Clane, Hazelhatch, Monasterevan, Straffan, Moorefield, Milltown and Rathbride, Mountrice, Athy, Kilcock and Naas.
Moorefield played in the very first Kildare football championship on 1 April 1888: watch this space for a report on that match and follow Moorefield’s progress.
Moorefield 1888 AGM
The Leinster Leader of 11 August 1888 noted that “the annual meeting of the J. J. O’Kelly GAA (Moorefield) was held in their rooms, on Sunday August 5th, to elect a committee and officers for the coming year. There was a large attendance of members. Mr John Keady proposed, and Mr John Langton, hon. sec, seconded, that Mr John Kelly, captain, take the chair. Mr Kelly then took the chair and returned thanks for the honour conferred on him; it was one, he said, he did not deserve at all. The Chairman stated he would submit to them the yearly report. He did not wish to detain the business before them by making any observation and would at once submit the report to them.
The secretary (Mr. John Langton) then read the report. A vote of thanks was passed to the following officers: Messrs J. O’ Callaghan, president; J. Keady, vice-president; T. Lannery, treasurer; J. Langton, hon. sec, for their unlimited energy in bringing the club to its present prosperous condition.
The following officers were unanimously re-elected: President, Mr. J. O’Callaghan; Vice-President, Mr. J. Reddy; Treasurer, Mr. T. Lannery; Hon Sec, Mr John Langton. The following officers of committee were elected by ballot: Messrs James Hughes, 47; E. Behan, 46; J. Kearns, 44; M. Donnelly, 41; J. Deegan, 42; John Kelly, (Captain),42; J. Byrne, 33; P. Lannery, 18; James Langton, 17; John Kelly, 15; Patrick Byrne, 12; J Cummins, 9.
After the elections the Chairman returned a vote of thanks to the meeting; also denounced the Tory Government for their cowardice in imprisoning their patron* (Mr. J. J. O’Kelly) who had their club’s greatest sympathy. The members then indulged in a Smoking Concert**, when some pretty jokes were cracked. Mr J. Langton favoured his brother members with the song ‘The G.O.M’ also an encore song, ‘The Big Sunflower’. The following also took part in the proceedings – J. Mahon sang ‘Greene’s Mother’, P. Lannery sang ‘The Spring by my Cabin Home’, J. Gannon sang ‘Tommy in the Cupboard’, T. Donoghue sang ‘The Harp and the Shamrock’, Denis Morrissey sang, ‘Joe Muggings’, J. Connolly sang ‘Far Away’, after which all members left the Clubroom with three ringing cheers for the GAA”.
* This was at a time of evictions of thousands of tenant farmers in Ireland: in seven sets of evictions, 51 of 122 families were evicted from Clongorey between 1883 and 1892, known as ‘The Clongorey Evictions’.
** Smoker: A recruitment process for any of various organisations, including “smoker” (for men’s organisations) “tea” (for women’s organisations).
This entry was posted in Archive 2020
. Bookmark the permalink