Mick Masterson, RIP

Mick Masterson, RIP



The passing of Mick Masterson has added another name to the long list of great Moorefield players and members who have gone to their eternal reward in the past few years.

Mick will be greatly missed by his family but also by club members in general, and especially by his playing colleagues and those who witnessed his ability as a fine exponent of the skills of Gaelic football.

Mick was a little unfortunate in not coming to Moorefield before 1963: had he joined a year earlier he would surely have been on the team that won the 1962 senior football title on 12 May 1963. He lined out the following Sunday in the first round of the ’63 championship when the Moores accounted for Monasterevan by 0-11 to 0-3. The match report noted that “the heavy artillery of Harry Fay, Paddy Anderson, Jimmy Dowling and Toss McCarthy led the scoring charts with good support from Mick Masterson and Ray Clinton”. However, Moorefield’s reign as county champions lasted a mere70 days, the shortest ever period in the history of Kildare senior football, defeat to Clane coming on Sunday 21 July.

Mick scored two points in the 1964 championship quarter-final against Raheens, and he stood out at centre field against Grange in the Junior League final in December 1964. He is also recorded in the Moorefield Club History as “serving well in defence” when Moorefield surprised county champions Carbury by 2-7 to 1-8 in the replayed Leader Cup semi-final in November 1967.

As a teenager Mick lined out for Kildare minors in 1957 and was on the county junior team for several years. Playing in Croke Park was a highlight of his career. He often regaled his family with stories of times past – including when he went to GAA HQ with his boots tied around his neck, his stockings in one and togs in the other to play for the Lily Whites.

On coming to reside in Newbridge, and as he was working in ’The Ropes’, Mick, with no little encouragement from Billy Bell, transferred to Moorefield from Caragh, a club that won the inaugural (1920) Leinster Leader Cup in a replay against Naas by 1-6 to 1-0 on 17 April 1921. Caragh also won the senior championships of 1918, 1919 and 1926. He had many a great game for ‘The Ropes’ and it would be a brave opponent who would challenge him in the physical stakes.

The Achadh Mhórdha club was enriched by Mick’s immense contribution on the field of play, in committee rooms, and wherever the need arose for a helping hand or a word of encouragement. His son, Mick Jnr, grandson Aaron and granddaughters Amber and Amy have followed in his footsteps as great players who have worn the green jersey with pride and distinction.

May Mick rest in peace in the company of the legions of Moorefield men and women who have gone before him to a better place where great games, heroic deeds and wonderful memories will provide sporting topics for many a long discussion.


This entry was posted in RIP and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.